Tuesday, September 21, 2010

ALL OF USA IN 19 DAYS FLAT COURTESY KUONI-SOTC WORLD TRAVEL

It is nice and wonderful to be back after a whirlwind and hectic holiday / vacation under the able organising leadership of SOTC.Let me at the outset commend /congratulate SOTC for organising such a wonderful and exhilarating Holidays. It helped turn many dreams into distinct reality. We got full value for the money paid upfront. This is my unequivocal statement, if not a declaration. It would perhaps be in order for me, to also state that, such clockwork-like precision-arrangements in terms of stay (choice of hotels), providing quality Indian food including Jain Food; transfers, transportation to other destinations by overland route in AC buses etc., which require making arrangements much ahead of actual date, speaks volumes of the SOTC's mastery in its chosen field. I have no hesitation in sharing with you a secret, which other competing agencies would gladly sweep it under the carpet. While on Caribbean cruise on the ship 'Monarch of the Seas', it was observed that some guests from Thomas Cook were seen to be occupying the tables reserved for SOTC. And when our tour manager remonstrated with her counterpart ( I say this on record, as some of us were witness to that deft and efficient handling of the situation by SOTC tour manager) In the result, this prompt action by the SOTC tour manager forced those (supposedly) bravehearts occupying SOTC table, to beat a hasty retreat!One look at the dishevelled and unkempt appearance of their tour manager, said it all. Need I say more? We were extremely lucky to have a cultured, suave, affable and very eloquent Lady tour manager by name Tejaswini Padhye. Initially, I had a creepy feeling about her capacity to handle situations. I wondered how and what this single woman do to keep this disparate flock together. To my mind, she seemed an unlikely Shepherdess!!! (if I can use that expression). This feeling arose mainly due to her inability to immediately get the bus into the JFK Airport area, where we were all huddled in the cold and windy evening. However, to be fair to her, it was not exactly in her hands altogether, as JFK Airport area has strict codes relating to ingress of private buses and their parking slot.This feeling was was soon to be erased, as we saw her shaping-up and taking full control of her flock. Which was shortly after self-introductions. In no time, I observed many stiff and unbending males too deferring to her announcements and carrying out her bidding's!!!!!. The feedback that I gave on the conclusion of the tour was reflective of the above stated sentiments and warm feelings towards SOTC's able management OF THE WHOLE SHOW. I ASKED MYSELF "WAS IT CHOREOGRAPHED?" THE ANSWER WAS AN EMPHATIC 'NO'. BUT IT SURE WAS WELL OILED, WELL MAINTAINED MACHINERY CARRYING OUT ITS ASSIGNED TASKS TO PERFECTION I had also indicated, that I would, on return to Bangalore give specific recommendation's / comments: to make such Vacations / Holidays more memorable. The reason why I chose to record that I would furnish my comments separately is for the reason that they specifically relate to SERVICE BEFORE GOING ON HOLIDAY. And hence, strictly speaking, comes under your domain / purview I had noticed that SOTC distributed to intending travellers a colourful and equally exhaustive booklet. Which to be sure, would serve as a mine of information to the lettered folks. However, if you will recall my observation made in my email prior to my departure for USA; in which, I had shared my thoughts that SOTC would be well advised to make things easy for illiterate simple folks as also dhoti wallas. And that is another segment of potential travellers which is loaded with moolah and eager to take such holidays, provided it is properly packaged.It is this 'brand packaging' that I seek to explain in detail. As mentioned earlier, illiteracy can be a great curse and a handicap in the sense that, it holds back that class of would-be-travellers from seeking further information due to their embarrassment intertwined with shame and other undefinable feelings..Their hesitation and trepidation needs to be addressed squarely by SOTC. I suggest that SOTC consider making a video presentation in Hindi, Tamil, Marathi etc. Literally replacing the booklet for them. It should be a slick presentation for various destinations with voice-over in a cool, collected and matter of fact manner. The video presentation will be equivalent of what Braille is for the visually impaired. You will agree that the unlettered cannot appreciate what is written in the booklet notwithstanding numerous accompanying coloured photographs But they will definitely understand and decide, if it is given to them in the manner they understand. Which in their case, would be a video presentation. It could literally be a speaking booklet with soothing voice over, at times injecting an element of suspense and excitement.... The next comment relates to non-communication of benefits of frequent flying with a particular airline, which in our case was 'Emirates' Airline. Such benefits get lost by default. If the traveller is not made aware of the need for prompt beforhand registration by the traveller. (Which, to be sure is to be undertaken before taking the flight to avail the facility of being categorised as a MEMBER) In my own case, this was not made known to me. This came to my knowledge only when Emirates insisted that I give them a feedback, WHICH TURNED OUT TO BE A VERY EXHAUSTIVE FORMAT. I myself realised that I had lost out for no fault of mine. In the event, this non-communication of benefits like bonus mileage, frequent flier benefits et al are consciously not extended by SOTC to the customers for reasons of availing bulk discount for itself from the airline, then of course, I have no further comments to make. You may enlighten me in the matter, specifically giving reasons why this is not done / extended automatically by the SOTC. It could be carried out on behalf of the travellers by suitably changing the software / programme or what have you. If this suggestion is accepted by SOTC, it can be put into operation a day prior to actual date of travel, as the entire itinerary is known to SOTC and after factoring the last minute dropouts, i.e. after all that had coalesced and crystallised. Yet, another comment relates to issuing a SOTC-SPECIFIC memento to all travellers on completion of tour, which could be an Emblazoned SOTC Group Photo duly framed, or a Certificate etc. This PRACTICE engenders kinship and sense of belonging to that group. A Group Recognition goes a long way in building lasting relationship and leads to a legion of foot soldiers who will spread the Good Word around i.e. recommending SOTC as a 'Preferred Organisation to be With'I am now consciously bringing this feedback to a close.Yours trulyK K LuthriaBangalore http://luthriakk.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment